St Nicholas Church

History

The church of St Nicholas, which serves the Parish of North and Middle Littleton, is an attractive building situated adjacent to the National Trust owned medieval Tythe Barn and the Jacobean Manor House

Before the 1871 rebuilding, the chancel was circa 1290 and the nave XII century. The church also has two transcepts and a bell tower. The SouthTranscept was built as a Lady Chapel by Thomas Smyth, gentleman of the parish who died in1532. Upon his death he left a bequest to furnish the South Transcept as a Chantry, although there is no written evidence of it being licensed as such.

In 1871 the Chancel was entirely rebuilt by Frederick Preedy, a noted Victorian architect, who was born in the neighbouring parish of Offenham in 1820 and baptised their by his uncle. He, also, extended the Transcepts and added a very beautiful Reredos, which he designed and painted. The East Window remains the original.

The oldest object in the church is the impressive lead-lined XII century Font, which bears the scars of the removal of some of its ornamentation at the time of the Reformation.

The Pews in the Nave are medieval while those in the Chancel date from the XVI century

Also of interest is the pavement of medieval tiles in the North Transcept.These would have been of local manufacture and probably came from Malvern.

The lower section of the Tower dates from the XIII century but, above the level of the Belfry floor, the remainder of the tower was added in the XV century. The Belfry houses a set of six Bagley bells, dating from 1650, which still produce a glorious sound.

St Nicholas is one of the churches on the Evesham Preedy Trail, which is o tour of the talented architect's work. Complete guides are available in the church.

Services

A service of Holy Eucharist is held at 8.30 a.m. every Sunday throughout the year. During the present Interregnum the service is conducted by local retired clergy, all of whom visit regularly. In the coming weeks the officiating clergy will be:-

January 4th  Rev Patrick Wooster

January 11th Rev Dr Roy Lodge

January 18th  Canon Harvey

January 25th  Canon Peter Burch

February 1st Rev Dr Roy Lodge

February 8th Canon Peter Burch

February 15th Canon Peter Burch

February 22nd  Rev Dr Roy Lodge  First Sunday of Lent

Contacts

Anyone wishing to contact a member of the clergy or seeking information about Baptisms, Weddings or Funerals should contact one of the Churchwardens who will be always pleased to help. The Churchwardens are HAZEL HUNTER (01386) 831769 and PETER BROWN (01386) 831529